The Meta Regional Committee fosters collaboration and communication throughout the Regional Network, and offers a strategic sounding board for the Burning Man Project. Our group includes seasoned Regional Contacts and participants with community-building and event experience beyond Black Rock City. Individually and collectively, Metas serve to network the network.
Roles and Responsibilities
Regional Contact Intake and Training
Assist with Regional Contact selection: Interview candidates, review community feedback, make recommendations, mentor new Regional Contacts.
Conduct check-in conversations with Regional Contacts.
Education and Development
Support production of educational content for Regional Contacts and community members, including training materials and toolkits.
Contribute content to Regional Scoop (regionals-list announcements).
Participate in regionals-list email discussions and Hive groups.
Join Trash Fence Cafes (RC Peer to Peer Support Calls).
Present at Regional Network Forum.
Mediate conflicts between Regional Contacts, and between Regional Contacts and community members: Review complaints, offer counsel, propose local solutions.
Analyze Annual Regional Recap Reports: Identify regional and global trends and challenges.
Advise on Regional Network Team goals and strategy: Recommend practical interventions to promote organizational efficiency and community engagement.
Build bridges between the Burning Man Project staff, board members and global community: Envision, plan, and communicate strategic direction.
Nominated by Burning Man HQ
- Northwest/BC/Alaska: Kay Morrison (Seattle)
- CA-NV-AZ-HI: Tiya Coleman (Las Vegas)
- Mid-South & New Mexico: Scott Platsky (Arizona)
- Rocky Mountains/SAS/ALB: vacant seat
- Great Lakes/Midwest/MAN/ONT: Joshua “Mountie” Shessel (Toronto)
- Northeast/QUE/NB/NS: vacant seat
- Southeast: William “Sauce” Funderburk (North Carolina)
- International: vacant seat
- International: Ian Rowen (Singapore)
- SF/Representative from Burning Man Headquarters: Iris Yee
Seats 1-10 are nominated and placed by Burning Man HQ. These seats will belong to current Regional Contacts or Alumni in Good Standing.
Nominated by Regional Network
- Event production (expertise): Tzara Vierck (Portland)
- Civic (BWB style) Activities: Eric Griswold (Wisconsin)
- Social Alchemy (development and people skills): Jennifer “Preamble” Richter (Washington DC)
Seats 11-13 are peer-nominated by the Regional Network and selected by the Meta Regional Committee. These seats need not be a Regional Contact.
Nominated by Regional Network
- Local Leader (a skilled person whose work will further the initiatives set forth by the committee): Rachel “squishelle” Proulx (Vancouver) staying on one year to support the transition.
Voting for seat 14 will occur at the annual Caucus. Inaugurations will occur at the Burning Man event in Black Rock City.
Cheyne “Starbaby” Maclaskey – on sabbatical
Definitions of Regions/US States and Canada
- Northwest represents BC plus WA, AK, OR, ID
- Mid-South represents KY, TN, OK, MS, LA, AR, TX, & NM
- Rocky Mountain represents MT, ND, SD, NE, WY, CO, UT plus SAS & ALB
- Great Lakes & Midwest represents MI, OH, IN, IL, MO, KS, MN, IA, WI plus MAN & ONT
- Northeast represents QUE, NB & NS plus VT, ME, NH, NY, MA, CT, RI, DE, NJ, PA
- Southeast represents MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, & PR
Meta Regional Nominee Criteria
Meta Regional Committee Member has demonstrated extensive leadership experience in any of the following areas:
- Organizational functionality (non-profit or LLC or steering committee)
- Community-building experience
- Has outlasted or overcome local drama
Meta Regional Committee Member will also be selected based upon:
- Successful track record within the Regional Network
- Maturity level
- Peer respect