(Banner picture: Dust City Diner 2012, Photo by Ana Grillo)
A summer South Bay Burner Picnic has become a tradition for the past several years. We’ve called it the BBQ-A-Newbie picnic, and it’s certainly a way for virgins to get some playa orientation. We’d like this to be a get-together for the entire community, too, and one way to do this is the proposed “Theme Camp Speed Dating”. No, it’s not about finding a hook-up hottie for the playa; the idea is to have many of our 60 South Bay Theme Camps talk to the newbies and match up campers with the type of playa camp that most appeals to them. We’ve also successfully held a Camping Equipment Exchange (old coolers, outgrown tents, things you don’t use anymore because you’ve upgraded). How would you like to be involved with that? Engage & volunteers to help us create a fabulous experience!
This year’s activities include:
- Newbie Survival guide: a 10-15 minute workshop for newbies on the tried-and-true survival tips to prepare for the desert
- Theme Camp Speed Dating: enable many of our 60+ South Bay Theme Camps talk to the newbies and match up with the type of playa camp that most appeals to them
- Camping Equipment Exchange: swap old coolers, outgrown tents, things you don’t use anymore because you’ve upgraded
- Costume X-Change: give a 2nd life to your beloved playa-wear, share/exchange looks
- Decorate-Your-Bike: bells & duck-tape, fur & EL-Wire. Share your tricks & wisdom with old-timers & first-timers alike
Write to us at email@example.com if you can represent your Theme-Camp, volunteer with setup, or if you have something to contribute to the Camping Equipment Exchange or Costume X-Change.
When: Saturday July 15, starting 11:00am
WHERE: Murdock Park, 1240 Wunderlich Dr, San Jose
SBB FB: facebook.com/events/1716975938600784/