The IDIOTAROD is the urban version of the Alaskan Iditarod dogsled race but instead of dogs, it’s people, instead of sleds, it’s shopping carts, and instead of the frozen Alaskan tundra it’s frozen New York City. 2014. (www.IdiotarodNYC.com)
– Who can race? Anyone. Everyone. Please forward this as you might.
– How do I register?: Please join the group on Facebook but more importantly, *email Idiotarodnyc@yahoo.com* indicating your interest and we will send you an event registration form.
– What’s the route? The launch location will be announced to all registrants on Friday, January 24th (the night before the race) and there will be designated checkpoints and a finish line announced to racers at each preceding checkpoint. You will be held at these checkpoints for trials and challenges that must be completed to advance and you will be able to choose your own route between checkpoints as you see fit.
– Does each team need a shopping cart? Yes– And each cart must be creatively decorated with a team name and unique theme being customary.
– How does a team win and what do they get? Prizes are awarded for Best in Show, Best Design and other factors at the discretion of the judges. Creativity, imagination and enthusiasm are the key. Speed is not… And bribery will increase your odds!
– Is there a rain date? NO! — Rain or Snow – this race rolls.
– Can I help with the race or a checkpoint? Yes, maybe. Please email Idiotarodnyc@yahoo.com with “volunteer” in the subject line and state your interest and skills and we will get back to you.
1. Each team must consist of one shopping cart and at least 5 team mates.
2. Each team can attach things to the cart, make a riding platform, grease the wheels and chop up the cart– but all pieces must be part of the final design.
3. Bribery Encouraged!: Judges and Checkpoint Monitors enjoy all forms of bribery and favors and, yes, bribery will help garner prizes.
4. Sabotage: Good natured and ingenious sabotage is encouraged but nothing can be done of a malicious nature (like damaging the art of others carts) or that may hurt the existence of the race itself.
5. Do Not Litter!: The hurling of food objects or other materials is strictly prohibited and will result in expulsion from the race.
6. Respect: Please respect the police, the public, traffic and each other. This event’s continued existence is reliant on the cooperation of each participant… Inspired Idiocy = Yes, Douchey Stupidity = No.