The class is two and a half hours (depending how many people attend) for $25 per person. It takes longer if there are lots of people because everyone takes turns lighting up at the end of the class.
We cover many things in the class that help people not only perform with fire as safely as possible for themselves and their audience, but also
- How to not get in trouble with the law in your locale.
- How to not get in trouble with political officials so that they don’t try to ban fire performing.
- How to not ruin fire performing for all the other fire performers in your area.
- The difference between public and private property.
- What types of other performers to work with.
- Demonstrations on which fabrics burn and which melt.
- Which fuels are highly volatile and will light on fire with just a spark, and which are much safer.
- We have everyone practice not only being a fire performer but also being a safety person –
- how to correctly put out a performer’s tools
- how to put out a performer who is accidentally on fire
- how to apply first aid and determine if they need to go to a hospital
- how to work with those who breathe fire – it’s different!
- Where to get good insurance, not the cheap kind that doesn’t cover much, but the kind you will need if damage occurs to a client or venue owner’s property, or you injure an audience member.
- Where to get all the necessary supplies for you to build your own fire tools, acquire safety equipment, etc.
- For those interested in doing shows we cover:
- What to pack for a show
- how to transport it safely
- how to scout locations in advance for safety, both indoor and outdoor venues
- how to set up a performance space the correct way and how to tear it down after the show
- what kind of safety checklist you will need
- and how to deal with clients and venue owners
- invoicing and contracts
During the class we supply all the safety equipment and fuel for you to use, you can bring your own fire tools if they are different from poi or staff. You’ll get a 12 page handout in class of everything we discuss for you to keep.
The BurningSNOW Center for the Experimental Arts
2578 N. Weil Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212